User Tools

Site Tools


Minutes of Technical Community Discussion on September 24, 2015

  • Date and Time: 6:00am PDT / UTC 13:00, Thursday September 24, 2015
  • Convener: Bin Hu (AT&T)
  • Participants:
    • Al Morton (AT&T)
    • Ana Cunha (Ericsson)
    • Brian Smith (Bell Canada)
    • Bryan Sullivan (AT&T)
    • Christopher Price (Ericsson)
    • Dave Neary (Red Hat)
    • Debra Scott (OPNFV)
    • Iben Rodriguez (Spirent)
    • Ildiko Vancsa (Ericsson)
    • Julien Zhang (ZTE)
    • Larry Lamers (VMWare)
    • Malla Reddy Sama (DoCoMo)
    • Mark Szczesniak (Casa)
    • Maria Toeroe (Ericsson)
    • Michael Bugenhagen (Century Link)
    • Michael Wiegers (Ericsson)
    • Narinder Gupta (Canonical)
    • Praveen Kumar
    • Rajeev Seth (Sonus Networks)
    • Raymond Nugent (Huawei)
    • Serge Manning (Sprint)
    • Steve Furr (Freescale)
    • Stuart Mackie (Juniper)
    • Younes Fettah (Ericsson)
  • Upstream Feature Development and Cross-Project Collaboration - TBD
    • Status update on active items
    • Status update on areas of interest
    • Draft Blueprints Discussion
    • Other cross-project topics


Michael and Younes (Ericsson) introduced Transformer project proposal. In essence, it is a documentation project instead of a testing project.

Bryan (AT&T) felt it is confusing, and asked what would be defined by project? Michael answered that the project intended to identify right tools and specify use cases and test cases. It will not provide tools. Nor will it do testing.

Bryan further asked if those docs have already been provided by SDOs. Michael answered that 3GPP doesn't provide test cases or specify tools.

Bryan summarized that the project intends to gather some docs together, tell people what to do, but not help them do it.

Dave Neary (RedHat) indicated that testing VNFs is already covered by FuncTest. Test result will be published there. Not sure what is the end result of this project.

Malla (DoCoMo) indicated that each project has its own features and test cases, and how can Transformer help? Michael responded that it will recommend tools develop use cases and test cases. Malls further indicated that each project as its own test cases.

Dave said that he didn't understand why it cannot be part of FuncTest.

Ray Nugent (Huawei)'s concern is that Transformer doesn't produce anything. No code, no test. It may be good for docs, but not help anything.

Bin summarized that community has concerns on the approach Transformer is taking. Community recommends that Transformer starts with working with FuncTest, YardStick and other testing projects, and contributes docs, use cases and test cases to those project respectively.

Chris (TSC Chair) indicated that TSC will discuss the change of bylaws next week, and also discuss how existing projects better address new needs in industry.

  • AOB

Chris reminded the Milestone C on Friday, and asked if there is any concern or confusion. Debra will send an email today to ask for final status from PTLs.

Meeting adjourned.

wiki/tc_minutes_20150924.txt · Last modified: 2015/09/24 23:53 by Bin Hu