User Tools

Site Tools


Minutes of Technical Community Discussion on January 21, 2016

  • Date and Time: 6:00am PST / UTC 14:00, Thursday January 21, 2016
  • Convener: Bin Hu (AT&T)
  • Participants:
    • Ana Cunha (Ericsson)
    • Ashok Emani (Intel)
    • Brian Smith (Bell Canada)
    • Dave Neary (Red Hat)
    • Hongbo Tian (Huawei)
    • Ildiko Vancsa (Ericsson)
    • Lincoln Lavoie (UNH)
    • Malla Reddy Sama (DoCoMo)
    • Mark Szczesniak (Casa)
    • Mika Rautakumpu (Nokia)
    • Ryota Mibu (NEC)
    • Serge Manning (Sprint)
    • Trevor Cooper (Intel)

IRC Log:

Hongbo started by giving update of PlugFest Planning activities:
(1) PlugFest will be May 9th-13th 2016, in CableLabs, Louisville, CO
(2) Worked with LF and CableLabs teams, and Rules of Engagement (ROE) document is done and reviewed with CableLabs
(3) Worked with Dovetail team, OPNFV test projects and test groups on all test issues for plugfest
(4) A dedicated PlugFest planning meeting will be on Fridays, starting from next week Jan 29
(5) Mika shared Nokia's proposal

Dave Neary (RedHat) asked if the first item was about cost or NDA. Hongbo responded that it was about ROE instead of NDA.

Mike (Nokia) introduced his proposal.

Ana Cunha (Ericsson) asked if PlugFest test tools will be developed by OPNFV? Hongbo indicated that there will be 2 types of tools, some are from OPNFV and some are vendor tools.

Bin asked if vendor tools need license agreement for PlugFest? Or will it be covered by ROE? Hongbo answered that it should be covered by ROE. Bin suggested to make sure that it is covered by ROE. Hongbo agreed and would make sure it is covered when he continues to work with LF and CableLabs.

Ana asked if those test suites and test tools will be available before PlugFest or will just be brought into test during PlugFest. Dave preferred that those test suites and test tools should be brought into OPNFV first in the form of open source. Lincoln thinks that we PlugFest group define test cases for PlugFest, and test groups define test cases for OPNFV platform.

Lincoln (UNH) indicated that there are 2 ways to do PlugFest. One is Hackathon type, no clear agenda or structure, and everyone brings their own tests and tools. The other one is a more structured event, and we define the schedule, test suites, etc.

Bin asked Hongbo which type of event Hongbo is planning to do. Hongbo indicated that OPNFV wants the test cases from test projects and from vendors. Bin thinks it is more like a structured event. Dave suggested that vendors need to bring their test suites and test tools to test project first.

Lincoln indicated that this PlugFest provides vendors with an opportunity to come together and test interoperability, which they normally won't be able to do. So we need to articulate this value proposition very well.

Dave indicated that the key point is whether vendors are allowed to bring their own test cases or not. There is no decision yet. Hongbo replied that we can manage the test cases from test projects. Lincoln indicated that when Heather and Ray pitches to vendors, if vendor asks "what are the test cases", how should they answer?

Lincoln thinks that we need a more organized PlugFest event. Bin suggested that a better approach is to have the knowledge / awareness of test cases and test tools in advance. We need a process to call for contribution of test suites and test tools and set up a deadline. If vendors want to bring their own test suites and test tools, they need to register first.

Dave indicated that being awareness is the minimum, and ideally the goal is to have those test cases and test tools open sourced.

Hongbo shared his slides. See link above. The focus of PlugFest is to test internal-facing components (i.e. components of the platform), and verify that external interfaces behave as expected with various internal component combinations. The proposal is to have a specific technical group for the Plugfest, who can help install/debug installers and test cases - should recruit from Pharos, installers, test teams. Hongbo asked Trevor for help of test cases and test tools from test groups. Trevor happily agreed. Lincoln also suggested that we need to have an owner of gathering test cases.

Action items:
- Hongbo will send meeting invite for PlugFest weekly meeting
- Hongbo will follow up with Ray on whether ROE covers test cases and test tools
- Hongbo will work on process of gathering test cases from vendors, and find an owner.
- Hongbo will report the progress to TSC next week

Meeting adjourned.

meetings/dt_minutes_20160121.txt · Last modified: 2016/01/30 02:12 by hongbo tian